Search This Blog

Sunday, September 18, 2011

September 18, 2011 - NEBRASKA TRIP - Texas

Sandy and Don's house - street view. Time to move on. The goal was to make it to Guadalupe Mountains National Park by dark.


Taking the boring route of highway 20 had little temptation for photographic opportunities. I did stop in a couple towns on the way. I believe this one was in Sweetwater, TX, but i won't swear to it.

Cute posters at a rest stop.


I was surprised to see skyscrapers in Midland, TX. I didn't realize it was as big as it is.




Outside of the Odessa-Midland area it gets very dry and the landscape is dominated by creosol shrubs. There is also an abundance of oil drilling as evidenced by this flare.


My vote for best "Truth in advertising" award for town names!

Notrees not only had no trees, but not much else either! Seemed like a ghost town.

A small summit with infinity beyond.


I was expecting Kermit with Miss Piggy but they were nowhere to be found. This town seemed like it really was out there!





The same year i visited the most populated county in the USA - Los Angeles county, i also visited the least populated county in the USA - Loving County, TX. With no incorporated towns Mentone (population 82) is the county seat but it seemed more like a ghost town. I didn't see any live humans there!



The courthouse.









The Pecos River, county line. Ironically someone stole all the signs for Loving county!



I had to go down another road for a few miles to get a picture of the sign.




Finally! Those are the Guadalupe mountains in the horizon. The road from Orla, TX to the mountains was quite beautiful.






I made it to my destination where i slept in my truck for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment