Search This Blog

Saturday, September 3, 2011

September 3, 2011 - NEBRASKA TRIP - Wyoming, Nebraska

I always hated driving highway 80 through Wyoming because it's a lot of sagebrush and rock formations like these. However, this time i was loving this area. I love how remote it is and the sagebrush "forests" have a charm that i warmed up to.


Stopped in Green River, WY and got a hotel. It was not comfortable sleeping in my truck with a cooler and a bunch of other stuff. Got in, slept well and took some pics before i left. Loved the river and the rock formations.








Left Green River and stopped by Rock Springs, WY. I saw a sign that said the local college has a free dinosaur museum. I was all over that! I stopped for an hour and checked it out. Well worth the stop.





This T-rex is in the cafeteria!









Back on the road! More sagebrush!







At this point, i had just driven through Laramie, WY. I stayed there with my cousin in 1982 for a summer. I had a great time, but driving through it now i had a hard time remembering things. I recognized some buildings but a lot looked unfamiliar. I realized how my perception of what i am interested in is so different than when is was 16! I decided to get off highway 80 since i was making good time. I took a road north of Laramie and cut over to Wheatland, WY so i could drive through the Sandhills in Nebraska. It was a most pleasant drive.







I loved this mini Statue of Liberty in Wheatland, WY.



Also stopped to see the Oregon Trail Ruts State Historical Park. Never heard of it but it was close to the road and didn't take much time to see. The area is beautiful!



My loaded truck awaiting my return.











I made it to Nebraska! Now on the way to Scottsbluff.




That's the Scottsbluff National Monument in the background. Didn't have time to see it, but i did go up into it in the 80s. I have always wanted to go back. Maybe next time.









The famous Chimney Rock coming into view. It is an interesting site in a beautiful environment. I had driven by it once before. I missed the visitor's center by 15 minutes after they closed!



 






No comments:

Post a Comment